• Canada has safely managed used nuclear fuel and radioactive waste for more than four decades in accordance with the licencing and regulatory requirements of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission.
• Currently used fuel is safely stored at nuclear station sites while low and intermediate waste is stored at the Western Waste Management Facility (WWMF) near Kincardine.
• The approach of Canada’s Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) is based on best international practices.
• A multinational research effort is underway to find ways to recycle used nuclear fuel in Canada’s well-suited CANDU nuclear technology.
• Both the proposed Deep Geologic Repository (DGR) project and the long-term used fuel storage facility are subject to comprehensive technical and environmental assessments, extensive public consultation and willing host communities.
• Funding mechanisms are in place to construct and operate both facilities.